June 20, 2011

Introductions

     AKA the who, what, why, where and how.  OK, maybe not so much the how part, but you get the idea.
I'm a newly-minted doctor (egad, hide your children!), fresh out of medical school and about to start residency in family medicine in a small-ish (approx. 30,000 people) city in Pennsylvania.
     I've never lived outside of New England, and when I got my Pennsylvania driver's license, it marked the first time since I was 3 weeks old that I was legally a resident of a state other than New Hampshire.  All of my family is in the New England area (with very little exception), and since I am not going to have the luxury of getting back there as often as I'd like... and (let's be honest) since I'm notoriously bad at keeping in touch with family and friends... I thought this blog would be a good substitute for one-on-one communication.
     I tend to use a lot - a LOT - of "..." and parenthetical statements, but I was a biology major, not an English major (I left that one to the little brother... hey little brother!),  so if you're going to read/ follow this blog I apologize if my grammatical habits drive you insane.  Also, by way of warning, I am incredibly sarcastic so while I don't intend to offend anyone, I can't promise that I won't!  And lastly, this blog will likely NOT be PG (seriously, did you hide the kids yet?), so if you don't like it, stop reading - or call my mom for the PG translation, she'll filter me like nobody's business.
   Since I am going to be working in a hospital and blogging about real-life experiences, I will say up front that this blog will also be 100% HIPPA compliant - for those of you who don't know what that means, it's basically equivalent to the "names have been changed to protect the innocent" statements you see on TV/in magazines, except it takes it one step further.  I won't be using any names, or any other identifying details of patients. Those of you who know me, know where I'm doing my residency,  those of you who don't won't, sorry.  So if you're reading this trying to scope out some baby mama drama-type gossip or other small-city going's on, you'd best keep looking!
    All right, enough of the legalese/ disclaimers, even I'm bored now.  I'll try to keep things more upbeat and interesting from here on out.
   Feel free to post any comments/ questions/ panic attacks in the comments!

No comments: