June 22, 2011

These are a few of my favorite (and not so favorite) things...

     Obviously family and friends are at the top of that list!  But aside from that, I figured I should let you know a bit more about me since it might provide some insight into some of the posts I write in the future.
So, without further ado, these are a few of my favorite things...
1) Food - I like to cook, I love to bake, and I LOVE to eat!  I may be a pescetarian (ie I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish/ seafood), but aside from that there are very few things I won't eat or at least try...unfortunately for my waistline!  Specifically I love chocolate, carbohydrates, sushi, and everything in between.  The only downside I've found so far in the city I just moved to (aside from it being so far from my family) is that there's no Indian restaurant anywhere nearby, and while my homemade chana masala is good, it's just not the same!  When I moved in, I stocked my freezer with single-servings of some homemade faves so I don't have to worry about cooking all the time - the aforementioned chana masala, vegetarian chili, truffled mac n cheese, and several others!  Yum!  I'm sure that there will be more posts about food since I spend a large amount of time and energy thinking about food.
2) Sleep - not much to say about this, other than I apparently went into the wrong field, huh?
3) Travel - can't get enough of it.  I recently returned from a 5-city tour of Europe with the little brother - Dublin, Paris, Barcelona, Florence and Rome.  It was amazing and I can't wait to go back, and to see other parts of the world.  Someday I'd love to go live in Paris for 4 weeks and take an intensive language course.
4) TV, Music, and Movies - how original, eh?  There's too much to list here though, so I'll spare you.
5) Crafts - I love to make homemade cards, and to cross-stitch.  I don't care if that makes me seem like a 50 year old woman.
6) Recycling/ being green - don't let my crossover vehicle fool you.  I recycle every possible thing, and do my best to convince others to do so too.
7) Animals - makes sense for a pescetarian, right?  I especially love cats, dogs, and most farm animals.  I really want to have goats, chickens, sheep, and pigs someday... and maybe a cow or two.  But definitely no horses, they freak me out - disproportionately large heads.  But don't worry, I'll never be a crazy cat lady, or like this girl.  Just saying.
     And some of my least favorite things:
1) Cleaning - my Martha Stewart-like domesticity ends with the cooking/ baking, and crafts.  I'm a neat-freak, so I'm super organized, but man do I hate cleaning... specifically vacuuming, doing the dishes, and above all... ironing!!  Sigh, someday I'll be able to afford a housekeeper.... right??
2) People who drive like morons - unless your car was made in 1940 I'm reasonably sure it comes with directionals, and no... I don't have ESP and therefore can't predict that you're going to turn left in front of me. Also, if the speed limit is 30, I don't care if you go exactly 30 miles an hour, or a little over, but I swear if you go 27 mph in front of me, there will be steam coming out my ears in roughly 3.5 seconds.  Cutting me off = seriously irritating.  Before my BP increases to unhealthy levels I'll move on...woosah, woosah.  (Name that movie!)
3) People who waste my time - spit it out, get your shit together, and for God's sake don't stand around in the middle of an aisle in a store with your cart blocking everything and be completely oblivious to the fact that people around you are getting annoyed.  Presentations/ lectures that contain only 10 minutes of information but for some absurd reason take an hour to deliver?  I've got better things to do, so get on with it!
....noticing a pattern?  I'm a little impatient!  Basically I value my time, and don't want it squandered!
4) Waking up to an alarm - see #2 under things I like

  None of this is earth shattering news... most people probably feel the same way about all of these things.  I'm sure more shades of my personality and likes/ dislikes with come out naturally in my postings, so I'll spare you... for now!  Especially since this is starting to read like a personal ad.
   ACLS is finally over now, and I passed both the written and practical portions, which means that someone apparently thinks I'm competent to save someone in an emergency...yikes.  To add to the pressure, I got my first monogrammed, long white coat today...oh crap, that makes this whole doctor thing real.  Thankfully we still have another week of orientation, but after that it will be a whole lot of trying not to kill people or let them die, and trying not to drop babies as they come squirting out of the womb (I know, I know, I've obviously never had a baby or I'd know there's definitely no "squirting" involved... but they're pretty slippery, and I really don't want to drop one!  That'd be a definite "party foul," and somehow I don't think me mumbling "my bad," or brushing it of as a "man down" joke would go over all that well with the delivery room crowd!).
Off to enjoy a few of my favorite things - TV, then reading, then sleep - and ignore the ironing that I put on my to-do list, oh, 4 days ago.
     I leave you with one more fave - a picture I took on my recent European vacation of my favorite building of all time - the Notre Dame Cathedral:

OK, just one more.... this homeless guy and his dog in Paris were just too sweet to resist taking a picture.  Don't worry, I dropped some money in his cup too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading this post totally made me miss living with you during third year!! You always picked the crap I didn't recycle out of the trash for me, made lots of yummy baked goods, and shared all your good books with me. I miss you!!!!

nzsarah said...

There's good indian food (2 restaurants) in State College....anytime you're up for a road trip lemme know. -sarah