July 10, 2011

Perfect Saturday

     Yesterday I was determined to make the most of one of my precious days off, and I think I did just that!  I got home from work at 8AM, and headed off to the farmer's market with two of my friends/ fellow residents.  We ate some delicious crepes for breakfast... this crepe thing is becoming a weekly habit!  I got banana and nutella again (they were out of pears this week, or I would've had a pear and smoked gouda crepe), one of my friends got peaches and cream, and the other got spinach, mushroom and gouda.... so many delicious options to chose from, and you can only get them once a week.  Actually, it's probably a good thing that the farmer's market is only once a week or I'd be super overweight, and I'm sure they're not good for my cholesterol either!
     After breakfast we wandered around and picked up some delicious things.  I got a tomato and an onion from one of the Amish stalls, and used it to make this:
Guacamole!  The picture doesn't do it justice...
     I had been craving some homemade guacamole all week, and fresh produce from the farmer's market was just the incentive I needed to actually make it.  Guacamole is something I learned how to make from my good friend and former roommate, Clara - and if I do say so myself I make pretty darn good guacamole, so thanks Clara!
     At the same stall they also had bunches of flowers for sale for only $3.50, so I picked one up to brighten my room since I don't get to see much of the outside world these days.
Please excuse the oh-so-fancy container they're in...
     I don't know much about flowers, all I know is they're pretty.  I didn't own any vases, so I just put them in a Holy Cross travel mug for the time being... classy, I know, but I rectified this later on in the day!
    At another stall I also picked up a loaf of broccoli bread.... weird, right?  I'm not a huge broccoli fan - I'll eat it because it's good for me, and I like cream of broccoli soup, but it's not something I'd willingly buy for myself and cook at home.  But make pretty much anything into a carbohydrate and I'll eat it... and if it's homemade, all the better!
Mmmmm....vegetable-y!
     I tried some, and it's actually really good.  It's sort of a dense bread, wheaty and doesn't really taste much like broccoli.  The stand I bought it from had many different types of bread, so I have a feeling I'll be trying them all at some point or another... they had a pretty excellent looking ciabatta bread....mmmmmm!
     By the time I got home I was pretty beat, so I crawled into bed and slept until about 5:30.  
     If you know anything about me, you know that Target is one of my favorite places - it has clothes, food, accessories, electronics, home goods - so since I got paid on Friday and had a gift certificate from my friend Lindsay, I headed off to Target!  Let's just say that I got there at 7:15, and by the time I left the sun had gone down...  I bought the first printer I've owned in over 4 years!  It's also a scanner and a copier, and though it's made by HP it was only $100, not bad!  I also got some cute shoes on clearance, picked up some vitamins, grabbed a birthday card, and a few other things...ahhh Target, I love you! 
     Since starting work I've realized that I really need a clock in my bathroom so that I can keep track of time while I'm getting ready (AKA so I don't end up rushing around like a crazy person with 3 minutes left to get my ass out the door on time).  Target to the rescue!  I bought a clock radio that is also an iPod/ iPhone dock... and it only set me back $30!  Score!
     After Target I headed to one of my other favorite places... Wegman's!  We don't have these "back home," and I sooooo wish we did, because they are incredible.  New Englanders: picture Whole Paycheck Foods, only reasonably priced, and with consistently fresh produce, and oven-fresh creative baked goods, bulk bins of pay-by-weight candy, grains, and nuts, and a huge serve-yourself buffet of Indian, Chinese, and American food.... heaven inside four walls!  The little brother gave me a gift certificate to Wegman's for my birthday, and I put it to good use getting the rest of the ingredients I needed for guacamole, as well as stuff to make Muddy Buddies:
Once again, photos don't do it justice!
     This is something I discovered thanks to my lovely friend Lindsay, and it is addictive (unfortunately enough for my waistline)!  I made a double batch when I got home, and I'll be bringing one of them to work with me on Monday... get ready folks!
     The rest of my night consisted of making said guacamole and muddy buddies, doing laundry and organizing a bit, and catching up on last week's episode of Weeds (thank you, DVR!)...nothing super exciting, but it was relaxing which is just what I needed.  Tomorrow I'll have to make an effort to hit the gym!  At the moment though it's off to bed - freshly washed sheets and a fluffed up feather mattress = heaven!

No comments: